So, I have a nine-page paragraph-format outline for Tasmakat. I wrote that immediately after finishing Tarashana.
That’s a first for me. I just didn’t want to forget certain important elements I thought of. I don’t think I would forget, but it’s going to be a while before I get to really tackle this project, so I didn’t want to take the chance. (By “really tackle,” I mean seriously move toward finishing; I have written about 100 pages of this book so far, but that doesn’t count as getting serious.)
Naturally things will change from the outline — I fully expect that to happen — but I think that a lot of that outline will turn out to be accurate. The point is, I have this outline.
From the opening scene of Tarashana, I have had certain scenes in mind for Tasmakat. That assassin and that whole subplot got so much space in Tarashana specifically because of stuff that’s going to happen in Tasmakat. Those scenes are included in the outline.
However, though so much has been clear, I’ve also been struggling with certain dilemmas regarding that subplot.
Well, last night I suddenly realized that if I cut one character I had in mind and substituted a different character, poof! all those dilemmas immediately resolve.
Wow. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that before. The problem was, the one character I had in mind is a neat character. I would have liked writing him. But it makes A LOT more sense to cut him and handle this plot problem a different way. Doing it like this will solve additional dilemmas that I hardly recognized even were dilemmas until suddenly they were solved.
That came out of nowhere. I wasn’t even thinking about Tasmakat. And yet here we are. Some part of my brain must have been working on this without my really noticing. So this morning, I opened the outline file and revised it — just to make sure I don’t forget that this is one problem I think has been solved.