Here’s a post at tor.com: Celebrating great parents in YA SFF.
While I have no problem celebrating great parents in SFF, given the date, I assume this is probably a nod to Father’s Day. With that in mind, the title of this post looks a lot like someone tried to think of great fathers, gave up, and broadened the question.
Well, I’m pretty sure it’s possible to think of ten great fathers in SFF. Let me take a stab at it.
2) Miles Vorkosigan. We haven’t had a chance to see him in action as a father, but does anyone doubt that he’ll be a great dad now that he has children? I mean, he’s already done well with his stepson.
3) Adam Haupman, in the Mercy Thompson series, is a great dad.
4) John Aversin from Dragonsbane.
5) Tabini in the Foreigner series.
6) Sam Vimes.
7) Benjamin Sisko
8) Okay, the name reminded me, so moving out of SFF just for a minute, but Benjamin January from Barbara Hambly’s historical series.
9) Now that we’re outside SFF, obviously Keith from Veronica Mars.
10) Back to SFF, a father trying to work through a very difficult situation with his son: Albin Ronay in Growing Up Weightless. The first time I read this book, I was not super impressed by Albin. He grew on me the second time I read it.
11) All right, fine, the tor.com post does offer one good father who I really should have remembered myself: Derk from The Dark Lord of Derkholm.
12) Luke Nix from Dogland by Will Shetterly. I can’t recommend the sequel, but this one is quite impressive for several reasons.
Okay, that’s ten from SFF and a couple from outside the genres. It’s true I had to do some thinking, but really, was that so hard?
Please add your own favorite or noteworthy (in a good way) fathers from SFF in a comment. I’m sure I missed plenty.