Here’s a post for Mother’s Day, at tor.com, focusing on great moms in SFF (who aren’t dead or evil).
Which is quite the caveat, because there certainly are a lot of dead parents in SFF. It cuts down on the number of important secondary characters one has to deal with, so I have killed my share of parents as well. And evil parents aren’t that rare either.
I absolutely love Helen Parr from The Incredibles as a great mother on this tor.com post. I never think of movies first and often not last either, but oh yeah, what a great mother.
But . . . Sarah Conner? ??? Seriously? Talk about practically the very worst mother ever. I believe this post is more looking at “great characters who happen to be mothers.” I’m more interested in “great mothers who are also important characters.” That definitely lets out Sarah Conner.
Even when phrased like that, I certainly think of some great mothers in SFF who inexplicably did not make this post. Not sure I can think of ten, but sure, I’ll try:
1. Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan. No such post can be complete without her.
2. Malachite, Moon’s mother in Martha Wells’ Raksura series. Definitely. I’m sure Jade will be a fine mother, but Malachite, wow.
3. Mrs Frisby in Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NYMH For a quieter but just as brave mother.
4. Martha McNamara in Tea with the Black Dragon There’s one I ought to re-read some time.
5. Jenny in Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly. It’s true that she feels torn between committing to being a mother versus committing to study magic, but she comes down on the side of human attachment in the end.
6. Seraph in Patricia Briggs’ Raven duology
7. … Okay, feel free to chip in. Who are some other really good mothers in SFF?