Since it’s October, time for some themed posts! So, a top ten list: Disturbing Book Covers. Some of these make me want to pick up the book. Some make me want to back away slowly. I would say that some are good covers because they make you want to pick up the book AND they relate well to what the book is about. Others are utterly dreadful covers because they don’t do either job. So, here we go:
10. I would like to read this because of the reviews I’ve seen, but the title combined with the cover are a turn-off for me. I find this a creepy cover even though I am not bothered by insects and routinely capture and release real arthropods that get into the house. I don’t loathe this cover, but I don’t think it does the book any favors, either.
9. I sort of like this creepy cover. It makes me want to pick up the book and read the back.
8. I hate hate hate this cover, which is one of the very worst for “does not fit the book” and also is disturbing and ugly to look at.
7. If possible, even worst than #8. I love both these books, btw. I just detest these covers.
6. I like this creepy clown. It helps that I have no idea what the book is like, so if the cover is inappropriate, I can’t tell. I’ve always liked scary clowns.
5. I can’t tell if this is creepy or just peculiar. I read the first book and kinda liked it, but actually I liked it better before the protagonist began to figure out what was going on.
4. The dead girl cover trend was pretty disturbing, but actually I thought this cover was effective and appropriate for this story, which I really loved. The sequel didn’t work for me, though.
3. Spookiest floating person ever.
2. This is a very creepy, disturbing cover. Too much so for the book, imo.
1. I have always thought this was a masterpiece in the “creepy cover” competition. Never read the book, though I keep kind of wanting to.
What do you think? Do creepy covers turn you off, intrigue you, or can it go either way? Do any of these particularly flip the “back away slowly” switch for you?
Please Feel Free to Share: